gbadev
Game Boy Advance homebrew development forum

SkyLyrac wrote:

After a few years I got tired of PC and rediscovered GB homebrew. I spent a couple of years creating GB games such as uCity and demos (and improving the toolchain I was using, RGBDS). I got tired of this as well, because developing in GB assembly is super slow and painful, and I decided to try GBA for the first time, where I've created a couple of libraries like libugba and GBT Player, and I ported my uCity to GBA!

That's so cool that you ported your homebrew GB game to GBA! How many people have done that before? I never would have considered it honestly.

-e9

velipso wrote:

I started back up again after becoming utterly fed up with constantly shifting technology. Some of my SDL projects died after an OS update, and it was the last straw. At first I considered making my own virtual console, until it dawned on me that the GBA is the perfect real console for 2D game programming.

Me and my partner have been working on a puzzle game over the past year, which we hope to launch a kickstarter for in the next couple months. I've been doing the programming and music, she's been doing the art and animations. Our company is called Pocket Pulp (pulp.biz), and we've also launched physical puzzles this past year, which are for sale.

What do you mean by virtual console? Certainly not this definition right?

I am excited and hopeful for Pocket Pulp's success. Is your partner on this forum?

...whelp I just climbed out of your van-dwelling rabbit hole. Your transparency and vulnerability on display is impressive. I've gone on a few road trips living out of Jeeps, so a lot of that resonates with me.

-e9

e9zyI39w3 wrote:

That's so cool that you ported your homebrew GB game to GBA! How many people have done that before? I never would have considered it honestly.

The main issue is that it still feels like a GBC game. But the biggest advantage was that I didn't have to design a new game from scratch, so it was a more efficient way to use my limited free time. 😅

e9zyI39w3 wrote:

What do you mean by virtual console? Certainly not this definition right?

Things like PICO-8, TIC-80 -- oops, I should have said fantasy console.

I am excited and hopeful for Pocket Pulp's success. Is your partner on this forum?

No, she's pretty shy online for some reason, lol.

...whelp I just climbed out of your van-dwelling rabbit hole. Your transparency and vulnerability on display is impressive. I've gone on a few road trips living out of Jeeps, so a lot of that resonates with me.

Yes living in a van was a blast! I'm glad you enjoyed my blog on it!

- Sean aka velipso // Inky and the Alien Aquarium

Hey there,

figured I'd write myself an introduction and maybe recall this thread to life. I saw a link to this forum in the Discord server and figured I'd join to see what this GBA homebrew stuff was all about. At some point in the future, I think I'd like to try some of it out. I've done some stuff with the DS before, and know some C and ARM assembly.

Look forward to seeing what awesome things people come up with here and hope we can all get along :)

Garhoogin wrote:

Hey there,

figured I'd write myself an introduction and maybe recall this thread to life. I saw a link to this forum in the Discord server and figured I'd join to see what this GBA homebrew stuff was all about. At some point in the future, I think I'd like to try some of it out. I've done some stuff with the DS before, and know some C and ARM assembly.

Look forward to seeing what awesome things people come up with here and hope we can all get along :)

Do you have a GitHub or itch.io page? What have you been up to?

-e9

e9zyI39w3 wrote:

Garhoogin wrote:

Hey there,

Do you have a GitHub or itch.io page? What have you been up to?

I didn't have an itch.io before the Winter 2023 Jam, so there's nothing of value on there as of now. I do have a GitHub, it's over at https://github.com/Garhoogin/. Not much of interest there still, but more to come in the future :P