gbadev
Game Boy Advance homebrew development forum
Administrator

Update:
The jam is now over with 28 entries! You can play the final game containing them all here: https://gbadev.itch.io/gba-microjam-23

Hi everyone! We just launched the GBA Microjam '23!

For this jam, we're trying something different: everyone makes tiny 5-second games and then we combine them into one big WarioWare-like game at the end.

Submissions are open until the 29th October. Games should have a halloween theme and be made from the jam template (which uses C++ / Butano).

Check the jam page for more info: https://itch.io/jam/gba-microjam-23

Updates will be posted both here and on discord / irc, feel free to use these places to share your progress, ask questions, etc.

Hope you all have fun and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!!

Administrator

Update! The repo has had some bugfixes & improvements (and will continue to do so) so make sure to update your project to the latest version every now and then!

Besides that, we've been planning how the music in the game will work. What we'll probably do is:

• expose a play_music() method which you can call in your constructor, passing a song to (either a premade one, or one of your own)
  • this returns the recommended number of frames that your microgame should last for (based on the current tempo and the base length of the song)

More details to be confirmed soon, but this is just to say: if you want your game to fit in time with the music, you might want to think about making sure it can adapt to varying numbers of _total_frames!

(but if you want your game to have silence / ambience, or not follow the tempo, that's OK too, this is just a recommendation)

Administrator

We have now added a library of music jingles to the repo (thanks to Totsnuk for making so many)! Each jingle lasts for a number of beats (usually 16), and the tempo increases as the player completes more stages.

How to use the jingles:

To play a song and ensure your microgame last for the correct amount of time:

_total_frames = play_jingle(mj::game_jingle_type::SONG_NAME_HERE, completed_games, data);

There are plenty to choose from, we might add more later (and can take requests if you have something specific in mind for your game).

I would recommend to start with METRONOME_16BEAT so that you don't get sick of hearing the same song over and over during development :P

You can bring your own music too if you want! See below.

How to use your own music:

• Save your song at 120bpm and ensure it doesn't last for more than 10 seconds (actual in-game tempo ranges from 138bpm to 222bpm, subject to change)
  • Use play_music() to play your song at the game's tempo
  • Use recommended_total_frames() to calculate how long your game should last, for example:
    const int base_seconds = 8;   // 16 beats at 120bpm
    const int base_frames = base_seconds * 60;
    _total_frames = recommended_total_frames(base_frames, completed_games, data);

Have fun!

Administrator

Submissions are now closed! Holy crap, we got almost 30 entries which is amazing! We're putting everything together and will aim to release in time for Halloween :D

I'm gutted I didn't get chance to finish mine, but great news on having 30 microgames! I look forward to trying it out

Administrator

pmprog wrote:

I'm gutted I didn't get chance to finish mine, but great news on having 30 microgames! I look forward to trying it out

Aw yeah I wasn't able to finish mine either, as coding the intro cutscene ate up all my remaining time. I'm unbelievably happy with the result though!

I noticed your alternate title screen made it in which is very neat, I think I prefer it over the original!

The game is finished! Play it here!

exelotl wrote:

I noticed your alternate title screen made it in which is very neat, I think I prefer it over the original!

Thanks.
I quite like it, but I think after trying to condense it down from three scrollable screens, like the original titlescreen, I ended up cramming too much in the one screen.